Wow, it’s the first time we got nominated for an award. The Liebster Award! And? What’s the Liebster Award? Hmmm… we thought the same. We dug deeper and did some internet research. It’s actually not a real award but behind the whole nomination and award thing stands a pretty nice idea.
It is a nice way to recognize and discover new blogs. The Award is for upcoming bloggers, given by other bloggers who received the nomination themselves. It’s a way of getting a step forward and it helps to extend the network. We really like that idea behind the Liebster Award. That’s why we take part in this campaign.
We send a big THANK YOU to Black Blue Green AND A TOUCH OF PINK and Passionate about tourism for nominating our blog. It’s a wonderful feeling that other people like our blog. It means a lot to us.
What you will find in this blog post are our answers to the 22 questions from Blogger Stine @passionateabouttourism and Blogger couple Mike & Véronique @blackbluegreen.
We got 11 questions from Stine from Passionate about tourism
1. What drove you into travel blogging?
Travelling, travelling, travelling… We started kind of blogging seven years ago with our Website www.sunandstar.ch where we published our travel reports mainly for our families and friends. Our readership was growing and we love to write about our experiences. As we wanted to write more regularly and in English as well (sunandstar.ch is in German only) we started our Swiss Nomads Blog end of 2013. And we love it.
2. Were you a reader when you started?
Yes, we followed many blogs before we started our own.
3. Which blogs do you follow (of any kind)?
We follow different blogs from people all over the world but mainly travel blogs. Our favourites at the moment are Reisewerk, Off the Path, PlanetBackpack, YTravelBlog, The Planet D, Nomadic Matt and many more. The list is growing but the day unfortunately has 24 hours only. We can’t manage to read all we would like.
4. How many places do you call home?
The world is our home.
5. How many languages do you speak?
Two fluently (German and English) and bits and pieces French, Italian, Spanish. And our mother tongue Swiss German – of course!
6. Where are you now?
On a road trip around Australia.
7. Where are you heading next?
8. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
That’s written in the stars.
9. What are your Top 3 Destinations?
Thailand, Australia and the Maldives.
10. What has been your favourite travel experience?
The Gibbon Experience in Laos where we lived in a tree house for three days. And diving with the Manta Rays on the Maldives.
11. What has been your worst?
A super itchy rash because of bed bugs in a guesthouse in the middle of nowhere in Burma.
AND… We got another set of 11 questions from Mike and Véronique from Black Blue Green AND A TOUCH OF PINK
1. When did you start travelling?
That’s a difficult question. We travelled a lot with our parents already. Our first trip backpacking together was 1999.
2. Do you keep notes in a diary or do you blog right away on the computer?
Yes, we keep notes. Until last year in a paper diary and now electronically.
3. What is your favorite local dish?
Pad Thai, a traditional noodle dish from Thailand.
4. What is it you like most in blogging?
Writing about our experiences. While blogging we relive it. AND Meeting other bloggers online or in person.
5. Where did you meet the nicest locals?
6. What is your favourite means of transport?
Our Troopy. For all who do not know what a Troopy is: A Toyota Landcruiser 4×4. We love our fully equipped (with kitchen & bed inside) and very reliable car. The best for a road trip around Australia.
7. What is your main advice to starting travel bloggers?
Blog about things you love, be honest and find your own style. And start now.
8. Which country are you visiting next?
Probably our home country Switzerland.
9. What is the longest time you have been away from your hometown?
10. What is your favourite occupancy for long bus rides?
A Jack Reacher paperback from Lee Child or in the future my (Reni) new toy, an eBook reader. It was a present from Marcel. Thank you. I love it.
11. Name one thing every hostel/hotel should provide to offer a good experience?
Our 11 questions for the nominees
- What is your favourite way of travelling?
- What is on top of your bucket list?
- We scuba dive. Which sport do you want to try next?
- With what tools do you plan a trip?
- If you could choose – money doesn’t matter – where would you spent New Years Eve?
- Which guidebooks do you prefer for travelling?
- What do you miss most on your travels?
- Are you getting homesick when away?
- What are your travel plans for the rest of this year?
- Do you travel with a backpack or a suitcase?
- What’s your dream job?
This was the hardest part! There are so many travel blogs out there but many of them have too many followers to nominate them. After a lot of thinking and reading I finally decided on the following five blogs.
You’ll find the blogs we nominate below. Happy reading! The follower number was taken from the Twitter accounts of the different blogs.
patotra.com Patotra is travelling with her husband and kids age 10, 13 and 16. Read about their travel experiences and adventures they face as a family.
innasky.com Inna Hemme is writing in her personal blog about her big and small travel experiences. She’s spending a lot of time in airplanes. That’s also where her blog Name „inna sky“ comes from.
reisefeder-blog.com Six curious female journalists are writing about sustainable travel. They prefer to be close to the action, love to take photos and of course writing about their travels and people stories.
greenandyellow.org Olga and Vitally travel with their son Liron. Read more about their travels as a family and their experience about slow travelling with a troddler.
weltenbummlerin.net Ivana’s blog is a mix of travel reports, photos and travel tips. She’s a passionate travelette since 1990 and likes to share her experience on her blog.
The Liebster Award Rules
For those who are not familiar with the rules, here they are:
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Link back on your post to the person who nominated you
- Answer the 11 questions given by the person who nominated you
- Pick 5 to 11 nominees with under 200 followers to answer your questions
- You cannot nominate the person who nominated you
- Tell the nominees that they have been nominated by you
- Provide your nominees with 11 new questions to answer